Camping is a fun activity that people have been doing for years. However, it can be hard to keep food and other perishables cold while you are out camping. This is why coolers are required for camping. In this article we will review the 6 best electric camping coolers on the market today as well as provide tips on how you can choose one that is right for your needs! So, let’s get started!
There are many types of coolers on the market today, but electric coolers are the best choice for camping because they do not require any ice or other additives in order to keep your food cold. They also have a variety of features that make them great for camping. For you folks that would like to jump directly to the 6 suggested coolers, you can do so by clicking HERE
Buying Guide to the Best Electric Camping Coolers
When buying a portable electric cooler, you will have to consider a series of properties that it must have to satisfy your needs. So, I’m going to explain some of the most important features you need to consider before making your purchase.
1. Energy efficiency
When buying a cooler, whether electric or compression, you will need to take this into account as it will save you electricity. Most of today’s coolers have an energy label showing a series of letters, the most efficient being the letter A (consumes 55% less energy) and the least efficient being the letter G (consumes 25% more energy). Also, inside each letter there are three levels, for example in the letter A we have:
- When your estimated consumption is between 30% and 42%, it will be represented by the letter A+.
- If the consumption is less than 30%, it will appear as A++.
- When the consumption is less than 25%, it appears on the A+++ label.
To calculate it, we establish the relationship between the electrical power and the actual consumption of the latter over a period of 60 minutes and the result of this operation is the energy coefficient.
2. Height and weight
It is important to know for what purpose you need the electric cooler, because it is not the same if you want it just to take it to the beach or to have it regularly in your motorhome. If you want it for the beach, you will have to consider the weight, because the less weight you have to carry, the better.
However, if you are going to have it regularly in your motorhome, the weight is not important, but the size is, because the coolers we use in these cases are generally larger and our vehicles generally do not have much space.
3. Storage capacity
This is one of the most important things to keep in mind, because you won’t need the same storage capacity if you’re only going on a trip or getaway for a few days. If your idea is to buy an electric cooler to keep in your motorhome and leave for a few days, it should ideally have a large capacity.
In conclusion, the larger the capacity of the cooler, the more things you can store in it, and you will not need to regularly shop for food in supermarkets.
4. Cool box with Compressor or thermoelectric
Here I will show you the features of these two types of coolers and let you know which one is best for you.
a. Electric coolers
- First of all, their cooling temperature directly depends on the ambient temperature. They generally cool between 18º and 25º below the outside temperature.
- They work perfectly on both direct current (12V/24V) and alternating current (230 or 240V).
- Some of them have a dual function that allows both cooling and heating food. On the other hand, they are generally lighter and more economical than compressor coolers.
- To finish with electric or thermoelectric coolers, as a rule they make noise, although it is also true that some of them incorporate an ECO function that makes them quieter (loss of cooling capacity).
b. Cooler with compressor
- They stand out for their great cooling capacity and have a temperature range from 10º to -22º, which allows us to cool and freeze our food if we wish.
- Some of these coolers contain a double compartment, which is very useful because it allows you to freeze and cool independently. At the same time, they are high performance coolers with very low consumption.
- Just like thermoelectric coolers, they work on both 12V/24V and 230V, so you will have no problem connecting them to your motorhome.
My 6 Recommendations of the Best Electric Coolers for Camping
1. Dometic CFX3 35-Liter Portable Cooler
The Dometic CFX3 35-Liter Portable Cooler is a must-have for people who are always on the go. It can be used in your car, boat, or RV and is even powerful enough to be used as an icebox. You can store up to 35 litres of food and drinks in this compact cooler, which can freeze things up to -7 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Dometic CFX3 35-Liter Portable Cooler comes with a compressor cooling system that requires no ice. It has rugged construction with aluminium handles so that it can stand up to the elements. It also has low power consumption, so you don’t have to worry about running out of battery when you’re ready to leave camp. The Dometic CFX3 35-Liter Portable Cooler can even run-on solar power if you want to save money on electricity costs!
The Dometic portable electric cooler is easy to use and extremely convenient to carry around with its lightweight and compact design. You’ll never have to carry around heavy coolers again when you use this portable cooler!
- Comes with compressor cooling which requires no ice
- Can refrigerate up to -7 degrees F
- Rugged construction with aluminium handles
- Low power consumption and can even run on Solar
- Temperature control through mobile app via Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
- Easy to use and extremely convenient to carry
- It’s a bit on the expensive side with a starting price tag of $850!
1. What are the dimensions of this cooler on the outside?
The depth of the product is 569 mm, the height of the product is 420 mm, and the width of the product is 342 mm.
2. Is it feasible to move the ice maker zone from “ice maker” mode to “ice maintenance” mode manually?
It has thermostats for each zone, so you won’t have to use the maintenance mode! It is built in the same way that your home refrigerator/freezer is!
3. Is there any more storage accessible near the compressor, aside from the area in the basket?
There is storage space above the compressor, however it is much smaller than the storage area on the side without the compressor.
The Dometic CFX3 Portable Cooler is a convenient and efficient cooler that can be very useful in your everyday life. The fact that it doesn’t require ice makes it pretty unique and in my opinion a step up from most coolers.
Also, the Sterilight cooling technology that the CFX3 uses is extremely efficient. It doesn’t matter if you’re inside your home or out camping in the summer, the CFX3 will still be able to maintain its chill thanks to this technology.
2. ACOPOWER LiONCooler Portable Freezer 52 Quarts
The ACOPOWER LiONCooler Portable Freezer 52 Quarts offers a lot of great benefits for anyone who is looking for an easy way to keep their food and drinks cold. It has a powerful compressor that can reach 0 degrees C in just 20 minutes, which means that you don’t have to wait around while your food freezes. You can also use it as a deep freeze or just keep some drinks cool on the go.
This portable freezer comes with multiple operating modes: a 173Wh battery, 12V/24V DC and even Solar. So, if you don’t have access to electricity at the moment but still want to use this product then you can simply connect it to your car battery (and charge it while driving) or use solar power instead!
The large capacity of 50 litres will hold 62 coke cans, so there should be plenty of room for everything that you need in there! The unit itself looks very stylish and modern too, something that many other models don’t manage to achieve that well. All in all, this is a fantastic product for anyone who needs something portable and reliable!
- Comes with a powerful compressor that can reach 0 degree C in just 20 mins
- It has multiple operating modes: a 173Wh battery, 12V/24V DC and even Solar
- Has a large capacity of 50 litres which can hold 62 coke cans
- Built-in smart control through a mobile app
- Extremely portable and convenient to carry with 6 off-road wheels
- 1 Year limited-service warranty
- It’s a tad noisy when you set it at freezing temperatures!
1. Is it possible to use this to freeze ice cube trays?
I haven’t tried ice cubes yet, but I did have a box of room temperature fruit juice in the cooler that was almost completely frozen when the temperature was set to -10 C. I’m not sure how effective ice cubes would be in this case.
2. What comes in the box with this cooler?
The refrigerator has a built-in battery and three cord hook-ups (Solar Charge Cable, Car port charge Cable, AC Charge Adapter).
3. How long does it last on a single battery charge when used as a freezer?
When used as a refrigerator, it can keep food cold for at least 10 hours.
The AcoPower LiONCooler 52QT refrigerator is a great choice for tailgating, camping and even for RV use. The built-in battery is great because it can be recharged using solar power as well. This is also extremely portable because it only weighs 33 pounds which makes it easy to carry around with the 6 off-road wheels.
There’s so much to love about the ACOPOWER LiONCooler 52 Qt that it should definitely be in your list of cool-looking gadgets.
3. BODEGA 12 Volt Portable Freezer
The BODEGA 12 Volt Portable Freezer is perfect for anyone who wants to keep their food and beverages cold on the go.
It’s small and compact, so it’s easy to carry around. It can reach 0 degree Celsius in just 15 minutes, so you can be sure your items will stay frozen or chilled for hours of use. The freezer has a dual zone freezer with individual capacities of 45.5L and 29.5L, so you can store different kinds of items at once without worrying about taking up too much space. It has an ergonomic design that makes it easy to carry without straining yourself, and its friendly design makes it more than just an appliance, it makes it an appliance that looks stylish!
This freezer comes with a mobile app for temperature control convenience, so you never have to stop what you’re doing while out in nature or at work just because your food is getting warm. It comes with 2 years manufacturer warranty with 24/7 customer support, so even if something breaks down unexpectedly on your trip, they’ll be there for you!
- Comes with a mobile app for convenient temperature control
- Can reach to 0 degree Celsius in just 15 mins
- Has a dual zone freezer with individual capacities of 45.5L and 29.5L
- Ergonomic and friendly design for easy carry
- 2 Years manufacturer warranty with a 24/7 customer support
- Suitable for all kinds of outdoor use
- The dual-zone compartments share the same lid. A split lid would have been great!
1. Is it possible to use this as a freezer and a refrigerator at the same time?
Yes, each side of the cooler can have a different temperature.
2. How many watts does this device consume when turned on for the first time?
When it first turns on, it draws 32 watts, then 31 watts, and then less and less until it reaches the temperature you select.
3. Is an internal battery for this model available for purchase?
Yes. It may be purchased at the BODEGA cooler’s official website.
The Bodega is a unique portable freezer with a simple and innovative design. It’s a modern take on an old classic, but it has just the right amount of contemporary flare that you’d want from such a device.
Whether you’re looking for temperature control or storage for your daily meals, it’s hard to go wrong with the Bodega. And if you’re looking to get something out of it as well, check out their website for more information on their app.
4. Ivation Electric Cooler & Warmer
The Ivation Electric Cooler & Warmer is great for keeping your food and drinks at just the right temperature, whether you’re going camping or on a road trip. Its wide temperature range of 40-130 degrees Fahrenheit makes it useful in any situation, even if you go out to the beach, where it will keep your beer cold while still being hot enough to heat up your lunch!
The 45 litre compartment can hold up to 60 soda cans, so you can bring all of your favourite beverages with you wherever you go. It comes with a one touch Hot/Cold operation so it’s just as easy to use as an ordinary cooler, but with more features. The integrated wheels make it easy to transport from one place to another, and the built-in handle makes it even easier to lift when filled with ice and drinks.
If you want maximum portability and versatility in an electric cooler/warmer combo that won’t break the bank, look no further than the Ivation Electric Cooler & Warmer!
- Excellent for both hot and cold use with a wide temperature range of 40-130 degrees Fahrenheit
- Has a big 45 litre compartment which can store up to 60 soda cans
- Comes with a one touch Hot/Cold operation
- Built-in wheels and an integrated handle for increased portability
- Comes with power adapters for both homes and vehicles
- The cooler can’t achieve temperatures below 40 degree Fahrenheit.
1. What is the total of the two cords’ lengths?
The length of the cords is indicated in the cooler’s product description.
2. Does this cooler have an effect on the battery in your car?
Yes, it will drain your battery if you run it off your car’s battery when your car is not running.
3. Is it feasible to fill it with ice?
You can fill it with ice and use it as a regular cooler, depending on your needs.
The Ivation Electric Cooler & Warmer is a product that can be very helpful in a wide range of situations. Specifically, if you spend a lot of time outdoors and want to keep your food and beverages cool or cold, then this is a great product to invest in.
It will help you make sure that your drink stays as cold as possible, even if it takes longer than expected for you to get back home. On top of that, you get the added benefit of having the ability to choose between hot and cold, which is something many other products have failed to offer.
5. AooDen Electric Car cooler and Warmer
We know that when you’re on a road trip, you don’t want to stop for cold drinks or warm soup. You want to keep going, and we get that. That’s why we suggest the AooDen Electric Car cooler and Warmer. It comes with cooling and warming technology with a temperature range of 30-145 degree Fahrenheit, perfect for keeping your favourite beverages at just the right temperature all day long.
With its 25L capacity, it can fit up to 30 cans of soda or beer, so you’ll never have to worry about running out before the end of your journey. The AooDen is also great for home use! It has a premium design with a large handle and a flip-up automatic lock function so you can take it anywhere without worrying about spills or messes.
Now go enjoy your next adventure with the AooDen Electric Car cooler and Warmer by your side!
- Comes with cooling and warming technology with a temperature range of 30-145 degree Fahrenheit
- Has a capacity of 25L which can fit up to 30 coke cans
- Suitable for both car and home use
- Premium design with a large handle and a flip-up automatic lock function
- Comes with a 12 month manufacturer warranty
- Ideal for outdoor adventures like camping, caravanning, picnics, etc.
- Its weight is a bit on the heavy side!
1. Is it feasible to maintain things both cold and warm?
Yes! You can choose between hot and cold by flipping a switch.
2. Will thawing cold packs refreeze as a result of this?
The cooler never gets cold enough for anything to freeze.
3. Is a power cord included with this product?
Yes, two power cords are supplied. There are two distinct connections: one for a 12V DC connection and one for a 120V AC connection.
Overall, I am quite impressed with AooDen’s car cooler and warmer. The design is convenient, the functionality is great, and the added USB charger and quick warm-up functions make it a versatile item to own.
Its size alone makes it an attractive portable cooler for outdoor adventures. We’d be remiss not to mention that this product comes with a 12 month warranty, which is always a plus.
6. Apexcool 12 Volt Portable Refrigerator
The Apexcool 12 Volt Portable Refrigerator is the perfect appliance for any home or car. This refrigerator comes with fast cooling and can reach temperatures as low as -4 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can enjoy ice cold drinks on a hot summer day. The LCD display is easy to operate and shows the temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius, so you can enjoy your favourite beverage at just the right temperature.
Connected features are available through the mobile app, where you can control the temperature from anywhere. You can also connect with friends and family members who have this same model of refrigerator, allowing you to compare notes on how well your drinks keep cold!
The Apexcool 12 Volt Portable Refrigerator has three battery protection modes to prevent your car battery from running down. This ensures that no matter what kind of situation you’re in, whether it’s a long road trip or a short vacation, you’ll always have cold beverages on hand! It also has an ergonomic design with a hidden handle and two separate storage compartments, so everything stays organized and easy to access when needed most!
- Comes with fast cooling and can reach temperatures as low as -4 degrees Fahrenheit
- Easy to operate with a large LCD display
- Has a mobile app for connected features and temperature control
- Built-in three battery protection modes to prevent car battery from running down
- Suitable for both home and car use
- Has an ergonomic design with a hidden handle and 2 separate storage compartments
- The Bluetooth pairing takes time!
1. How many Amps does it take?
5 amps at a 12 volt supply.
2. Given that it works in the same way as a home refrigerator, would it be safe to use on a sailboat that is tipped to one side while underway?
The greatest angle, according to the instructions, is 30 degrees. The rationale for this, I presume, is to prevent refrigerated coolant from entering the compressor while it is operating.
3. What is the device’s wattage?
It has a 60W power rating.
Apexcool portable refrigerator comes with numerous features that make it a useful addition to any home. The list of benefits is long, and you are bound to find the ideal feature according to your need. It can be moved from one place to another without much inconvenience and can be used in either car or home.
The built-in three battery protection modes prevent car battery from running down when it is used for car cooling. It has an ergonomic design with a hidden handle and also two separate storage compartments to store both foodstuffs and beverages, respectively.
The Bottom Line
That’s my list of the best and top-selling electric coolers on the market today. Do you have a favourite? Or perhaps you own one of these coolers and would like to share your thoughts? I would love to hear what you have to say so make sure that you leave your thoughts in the comments section below.
Also, if you are highly confused about which one to buy, just go with any one which I have mentioned above. All of them are the best ones according to their price point and are the best bang for the buck! Be Safe And Happy Camping.!