Looking for the best protein bars for hiking or backpacking? We’ve got you covered!
Whether you’re out on a weekend in the wilderness or just looking for something healthy to eat on your way to work, there’s nothing more frustrating than trying to find a good protein bar that won’t leave you hungry an hour later.
Let’s face it: most protein bars are full of sugar and won’t keep your hunger at bay very long—and if they do, then they’ll probably make you feel bloated and sluggish instead of energized. That’s why we’ve done some research and found the top 5 healthiest protein bars for backpacking: ones that will give you the energy you need without making you feel like a sugar-filled zombie!
What are protein bars?
A protein bar is a nutritional supplement in the form of a bars. They are designed to help with muscle building, weight loss and as an energy source. Protein bars contain high levels of proteins, which are essential for repairing and growing muscles. Many also contain vitamins, minerals, herbs, and fibre. Some popular brands include Gatorade Bars, RXBARs, Lara Bars and Pro Bar.
Protein bars can be used as a meal replacement or snack alternative when you’re on the go. They’re especially convenient for athletes, hikers, backpackers or gym-goers who want to ensure they’re getting enough protein to support their workout routine. If you have trouble meeting your daily recommended intake of protein through diet alone, consider adding a protein bar into your routine. Protein bars come in a variety of flavours, textures, and sizes.
Some are meant to be eaten as a meal replacement while others act more like candy bars or power snacks. The nutritional value of protein bars varies widely, so it’s important to read the label before you buy one. Look for a bar with at least 10 grams of protein and no more than 20 grams of sugar. For best results, choose a bar that also has fibre and healthy fats!
How do protein bars help backpackers?
Protein bars are a great way for backpackers
to get an extra boost of energy and nutrition while on the trail. They can help you stay energized during long days of hiking, and they make a great snack or meal replacement when you need something quick.
There are many different types of protein bars available, so it is important to find one that fits your needs. Some protein bars contain additional ingredients such as vitamins and minerals, while others are simply made with protein powder and other basic ingredients. Be sure to read the labels carefully to ensure you are getting what you want from your bar.
In general, protein bars can be a helpful addition to your diet while backpacking. They can help increase your energy levels and provide essential nutrients that may be lacking in your regular diet. When choosing a protein bar, look for one that contains high-quality ingredients and has at least 20 grams of protein per serving size!
Can protein bars replace your regular meals while backpacking?
Protein bars are a great way to fuel your body while backpacking. They are easy to carry and provide the necessary nutrients to keep you going strong all day long. However, they should not replace your regular meals entirely. Here’s why:
- Protein bars alone will not give you all the nutrients your body needs. While they may be high in protein, they lack other important vitamins and minerals that you can only get from real food. For example, fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants
which help protect your cells from damage; something that protein bars cannot offer.
- Eating nothing but protein bars can lead to gastrointestinal issues like constipation or diarrhoea because of their high fibre content. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day if you plan on eating lots of them!
- Protein bars are typically high in sugar, which can give you a quick burst of energy followed by an inevitable crash. Eating real food will help to keep your blood sugar levels more stable so you can avoid that dreaded afternoon slump.
So, while protein bars can be a helpful addition to your backpacking diet, they should not replace real meals entirely. Be sure to pack plenty of other healthy snacks and foods as well to ensure that you’re getting all the nutrients your body needs while out on the trail!
Buying Guide to the Top 5 Healthiest Protein Bars for Backpacking
You’ve probably heard that protein bars are a great way to get a quick boost of energy on your next hike, and you may have even tried a few different types. But there are so many protein bars on the market now, how do you know which ones are right for you?
Well, don’t worry! We’ve put together this buying guide to help you find the best protein bars for backpacks, whether you’re looking for something high in fibre or low in sugar!
When choosing a protein bar for backpacking, always consider flavour first. After all, if you’re stuck eating something that doesn’t taste good, you’re not going to want to eat it and will end up feeling even more tired.
Look for bars with familiar flavours that you know you’ll enjoy- chocolate chip cookie dough or peanut butter chocolate are always safe bets. And don’t forget about calories! Make sure the bar has enough calories to give you sustained energy throughout your hike.
When choosing the best protein bars for backpacking, always consider calories. This is because when you are out in the wilderness, you need all the energy you can get to make it through your hike. Here are a few things to look for when selecting a protein bar:
- Calories per ounce: When hiking, your body burns more calories than usual. So, it’s important to select a protein bar that has enough calories to keep you going. Look for bars that have at least 200-300 calories per ounce. Anything less may not give you the sustained energy boost you need during extended hikes.
- Protein content: Protein is essential for muscle repair and growth after strenuous activity like hiking. Choose bars with 10-20 grams of protein each to help your muscles recover quickly from all those tough uphill climbs!
- Carbohydrate ratio: For an endurance boost while hiking, aim for carbohydrate ratios of 3:1 or 4:1 (carbs: proteins). These will help replenish glycogen stores in your muscles so you can keep trekking without running out of steam prematurely.
The next most important factor to consider is ingredients! Some protein bars may contain allergens or be unsuitable for vegans, so it’s important to check the label before purchasing. There are a few things to look out for when checking the ingredient list of a protein bar.
- Firstly, make sure that there are no potential allergens present – some common ones to watch out for include nuts, soy, and dairy products.
- Secondly, check that all of the ingredients are vegan-friendly if you’re following a plant-based diet.
- Finally, take note of any added sugars or sweeteners as these can often add up quickly!
If you’re unsure about which protein bar is right for you, always err on the side of caution and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any specific dietary requirements.
When you’re out on the trail, the last thing you want is a protein bar that’s dry and crumbly. That’s why texture is an important factor to consider when choosing a protein bar for backpacking. Look for bars that are soft and chewy, with just enough of a crunch to satisfy your hunger.
Another important consideration is packaging! You’ll want to choose a protein bar that comes in easy-to-open wrappers or pouches, so you can fuel up quickly without fumbling around with complicated packaging. And if you’re packing light, look for bars that don’t take up too much space in your backpack.
My 5 Suggested Top Rated Protein Bars for Backpacking:
1. PROBAR Protein Bar
The PROBAR is the perfect on-the-go snack for people who are looking for a quick and filling meal. It is plant-based, gluten-free, Non-GMO Project Verified, and made with oats, nuts, seeds, chia seeds, and flax seed.
The PROBAR contains 360 to 390 calories of healthy energy that will keep you going throughout the day. You can feel good knowing you are feeding your body safe and natural ingredients with every bite. Plus, PROBAR products are made with safe and sustainably sourced ingredients.
So, not only will you be filling up on healthy energy, but you’ll also be supporting sustainable practices. Hence, the PROBAR is the perfect snack for people who care about their health and the planet!
- Flavour: 12 Flavour Pack
- Diet type: Gluten Free
- Number: 1
- Weight: 36.0 Ounce
- Plant-based, gluten-free energy bar
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- Contains oats, nuts, seeds, chia seeds, and flax seed.
- Made with safe and sustainably sourced ingredients.
- Quick and filling meal on the go
- PROBARS are absolutely great. However, do check the expiration date while ordering online (as some customers got expired products)!
When you’re on the go and need a quick, filling meal, the PROBAR Protein Bar is the perfect solution. It’s packed with oats, nuts, seeds, chia seeds, flax seed, and all of your favourite flavours like chocolate chip, apple cinnamon oat and peanut butter.
It’s also non-GMO project verified, so you can rest assured that it’s made with safe and sustainably sourced ingredients that are good for you—and the planet!
2. CLIF BARS Energy Bar
Looking for the perfect energy bar to help you sustain your moderate exercise? Look no further than CLIF BARS Energy Bar. Made with sustainable chocolate and other plant-based ingredients, this is the ultimate energy bar for active people who want to do their part for the planet.
Plus, with a large variety of flavours available, there’s something for everyone! And with its perfect mix of protein, fat, and carbs, it’s the perfect source of energy for on-the-go people like you. So, whether you’re hiking, climbing, or biking, CLIF BARS Energy Bar has got you covered!
- Type: Protein
- Flavour: Variety Pack
- Number: 1
- Weight: 38.4 Ounce
- Perfect mix of protein, fat, and carbs
- Made with ingredients that are better for the planet.
- A large variety of flavours available
- Perfect source of energy for on the go
- Ideal for hiking, climbing, biking or even backpacking.
- Although the bars are extremely delicious, they are a bit dry to taste!
The CLIF BARS Energy Bar is a great option for those looking for a healthy snack that can be taken on the go. It’s perfect for hiking, climbing, biking or even backpacking.
This bar has a perfect mix of protein, fat, and carbs to give you the energy you need to keep going. Plus, it’s made with ingredients that are better for the planet and even has a large variety of flavours available so you can always find one that suits your taste buds and cravings!
3. GoMacro MacroBar Organic Protein Bar
Looking for a delicious and healthy snack that will give you sustained energy throughout the day? Look no further than the GoMacro MacroBar!
This protein-packed bar is filled with nutrient-rich, organic ingredients like oats and chocolate chips. It’s also vegan, gluten free, kosher, and Non GMO. Plus, it’s certified organic and soy free!
Not to mention, it tastes amazing! The oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe is a fan favourite. So, if you’re looking for a nutritious snack that satisfies your sweet tooth too, grab a GoMacro MacroBar today!
- Type: Protein
- Flavour: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
- Number: 1
- Weight: 27.6 Ounce
- The oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe is a fan favourite.
- Made with protein-filled, nut-free oats and organic chocolate chips
- Certified Organic, Vegan, and Gluten Free
- They are committed to sourcing their ingredients responsibly
- These protein bars are a bit tough to chew!
If you love the classic taste of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, then you will love this bar! It’s made with protein-filled, nut-free oats and organic chocolate chips. Plus, it’s certified organic and vegan, so you know that your body is getting the best nutrition possible.
So, if you’re looking for a healthy snack that’ll give you energy throughout the day without being too heavy on your stomach (or wallet), then look no further than the GoMacro MacroBar!
4. Gatorade Whey Protein Bar
If you’re looking to supplement your at-home workouts or even your long backpacking hikes with some high quality protein, look no further than Gatorade Whey Protein Bars.
Each bar contains 20g of protein
from whey and milk sources, as well as carbs to help replenish and refuel your body. And because they’re scientifically developed and used by professional athletes in the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, anyone can benefit from their world-class nutrition!
Best of all, each pack comes with 18 bars, so you’ll always have one on hand when hunger or exhaustion strikes.
- Flavour: 18 Count Variety Pack
- Number: 1
- Weight: 84.0 Ounce
- Age Range: Adult
- Ideal for home workout, camping trips or even long hikes and backpacking.
- 20g protein from Gatorade whey protein bars helps muscles rebuild.
- Each bar contains high quality whey and milk protein.
- Available to everyone, not just professional athletes
- Each pack consists of 18 bars.
- The protein content per ounce is a bit less when compared with other protein bars on this list!
The Gatorade Whey Protein Bar is the perfect snack for any activity. If you’re looking for a high protein, yet low-calorie snack that tastes great and will keep you full for hours, this is it!
The bars contain 20g of protein per serving which helps muscles rebuild, so they’re ideal for home workout sessions, camping trips or even long hikes or backpacking. Plus, each pack consists of 18 bars!
5. RXBAR Protein Bar
RXBAR Protein Bars are the perfect snack for people who want to enjoy a delicious and nutritious treat without any of the guilt.
Made with real food ingredients like egg whites, dates, and nuts, RXBARs are gluten free and contain 12g of protein and 5g fibre. Whether you’re looking for a backpacking energizer or an after-dinner dessert, these bars will satisfy your cravings while helping you stay on track with your healthy lifestyle.
Plus, with no artificial flavours or preservatives, RXBARs are perfect for on-the-go snacking. So, whether you’re headed to the gym or just need a quick pick-me-up, reach for an RXBAR and feel good knowing that you’re treating your body right!
- Flavour: Variety Pack
- Number: 1
- Weight: 54.9 Ounce
- Age Range: Adult
- Made with real food ingredients like egg whites, dates, and nuts.
- Contains 12g of protein, 5g fibre, and are gluten free.
- Ideal for backpacking and hiking trips
- Great for on-the-go snacking.
- Made with simple, delicious ingredients and no B.S
- Again, RXBARs are absolutely great. However, do check the expiration date while ordering online (as some customers got expired products)!
If you’re looking for a snack that’s made with simple, delicious ingredients and no B.S., look no further than RXBAR Protein Bar.
These bars are made with real food ingredients like egg whites, dates, and nuts. They contain 12g of protein, 5g fibre, and are gluten free. And they’re ideal for backpacking and hiking trips as well as on-the-go snacking!
1. Are CLIF Bars good for backpacking?
CLIF Bars are a popular choice for backpackers and hikers because they are packed with nutrients and calories, making them an ideal snack or mini meal on the trail. But are CLIF Bars really good for backpacking? Let’s take a closer look.
Each CLIF Bar contains around 240 calories, which is perfect for a quick energy boost when you’re out on the trails. The bars also contain 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre, both of which help to keep you feeling full and satisfied until your next meal. In addition, CLIF Bars contain vitamins and minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium- all important nutrients that can be depleted during strenuous activity like hiking or backpacking.
So, if you’re looking for an easy-to-carry food that will give you sustained energy throughout your hike or backpacking trip, then CLIF Bars are definitely worth considering!
2. What bars give you the most energy?
There are a variety of bars that can give you energy, but the ones that tend to be most effective are those that contain high levels of carbohydrates and electrolytes.
CLIF bars are a popular option for many athletes, as they offer around 23 grams of carbs per bar. PROBARs also pack a decent amount of carbs, with each bar providing around 17 grams.
Gatorade bars are another good choice when it comes to finding an energizing bar, as it contains both carbohydrates and electrolytes which can help keep your body hydrated and fuelled during intense activity.
3. Are protein bars good for long walks?
Whether you’re an avid hiker or just enjoy a leisurely stroll through your neighbourhood, protein bars can be a great snack to take along on your walk!
Not only do they provide energy and sustenance, but they can also help you recover from muscle fatigue afterwards. Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a protein bar for your next hike:
- Look for something with at least 10 grams of protein: This will help repair any muscles that may have been damaged during your walk.
- Avoid bars with too much sugar: Too much sugar can cause an energy crash later on. Instead, look for bars that contain complex carbohydrates like oats or quinoa which will give you sustained energy throughout the day.
- Make sure the bar is easy to digest: Nobody wants to deal with stomach cramps while out on a hike! Choose something made with natural ingredients and avoid anything that contains artificial sweeteners or flavours!
4. What is the most recommended protein bar?
There are a lot of protein bars on the market these days. So, which one is the most recommended? Here’s a look at three popular options – CLIF, PROBAR, and RXBAR.
CLIF Bars are made with all-natural ingredients and have been around since 1992. They offer 20 grams of protein per bar, as well as plenty of fibre and vitamins/minerals. PROBARs are also made with natural ingredients and boast 20 grams of protein per bar (as well as 5 grams each of fat and fibre).
These bars come in both regular and bite-sized versions. Lastly, there’s RXBAR which contains 12grams of egg whites for 24g total protein content. These also have added superfood greens like kale or spinach for some extra nutrients. So, if you’re looking to add more veggies into your diet, this could be a good option!
5. What energy bar is healthiest?
If you’re looking for a health-conscious and nutritious energy bar, RXBARs are the way to go.
Made with all-natural ingredients like eggs, dates, nuts, and berries – and absolutely no added sugar – these bars provide sustained energy without any of the guilt. What’s more, they come in a variety of delicious flavours so you can always find one that satisfies your taste buds.
6. What bars have the highest protein?
If you’re looking for a protein bar with staying power, Quest bars are a great option. With 20 grams of protein and only 1 gram of sugar, these chewy bars will help keep you satisfied until your next meal.
PROBAR is another good choice for a high-protein snack, with 12 grams of protein in each bar. These Bars also have a short ingredient list which is always a bonus when it comes to packaged foods.
7. Should I eat a protein bar before a hike?
Whether or not you should eat a protein bar before a hike depends on a few factors. If you are hiking for leisure and don’t anticipate burning many calories, then there is no need to consume extra protein.
However, if you are planning on an intense hike that will deplete your energy stores, eating a protein bar beforehand can be beneficial. Protein bars provide sustained energy and help to rebuild muscle tissue after strenuous activity.
They also promote hydration and prevent cramping by supplying electrolytes such as sodium and potassium.
8. Is protein or carbs better for hiking?
When it comes to hiking, both protein and carbs are important for different reasons. Carbs are essential for giving your body the energy it needs to keep going, while protein helps repair and rebuild muscles that may be tired from all the walking.
That said, everyone’s bodies react differently to different types of fuel. Some people find that they have more energy when they eat a lot of carbs before hiking, while others do better with a higher-protein diet. There’s no right or wrong answer here – it’s all about listening to your body and figuring out what works best for you!
9. Is 3 protein bars a day too much?
If you’re eating three protein bars a day as part of a balanced diet, then it’s probably not too much. However, if you’re only eating protein bars and no other food groups, then you may be missing out on important nutrients.
Protein bars can be a convenient and healthy snack option, but they shouldn’t be your only source of nutrition. Make sure to eat a variety of foods from all the food groups to get all the nutrients your body needs!
10. Can I survive on protein bars?
If you’re looking to cut down on calories, protein bars can be a helpful tool. But can you survive on them alone? Here’s what you need to know.
Protein bars are a popular food choice for people who want to lose weight or build muscle. They tend to be high in protein and fibre, which can help keep you feeling full longer than other snacks such as candy or chips. And since they come in individual wrappers, it’s easy to control how many you eat in one sitting.
But while protein bars can be part of a healthy diet, they shouldn’t be your only source of nutrition. For one thing, most brands are pretty high in sugar even those that market themselves as “low carb” or “keto friendly.” Plus, they typically don’t have enough vitamins and minerals to support all your body’s needs!
If you are looking for more tutorials, walkthroughs and troubleshooting about camping and enjoying the outdoors, here are some additional posts to check out:
The Bottom Line
Hopefully, this buying guide has been helpful. Whether you’re a newbie or an old pro, protein bars can be a great addition to your backpacking arsenal. They can help keep you going when you’ve got a long day ahead of you, and they’re lightweight and easy-to-carry.
We hope we’ve given you some ideas on what kinds of protein bars are best for backpacking, as well as how to find them. We wish you a safe trip! Thanks for reading! If you think I forgot something or if you want to share a story or some advice, feel free to leave a comment below. Be Safe and Have Fun.!